Friday, March 16, 2012

Make Your Own Textbook!


When I was teaching high school English, I rarely used the class textbook because I found it to be big and cumbersome, and it lacked relevant, quality texts that engaged my students. So I mostly created and sought out my own resources to use. Unfortunately, that led to the predicament of arranging and organizing materials into a clear and coherent sequence for myself and my pupils. I wish I would have compiled my stuff into some kind of digital format (beyond throwing stuff on my website) to make resources more accessible and engaging for students, and to make the management side easier for me. 

Below are some resources that will help guide your thinking and provide options for creating and/or customizing your own textbook. This is just a short list, but it is a good starting point: 

Academic Pub (geared towards universities but teachers choose from approved copyrighted content, and the site runs a total for what each copy of the textbook will be for students. Gives option for digital, paperback, and hardcopy)

Build your own digital textbook (link to article about making the switch and steps outlined by schools who have done it) 

Pearson Customization (Options for using Pearson to assist with customized textbooks) 

iBooks (Link to info on the what and how. I'm still miffed by the fact that you can only view them on iPads, not even Macs!) 

Grow a Textbook (Ideas about how you can create your own DIY style) 

No comments:

Post a Comment